Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Another quilt square for the SAFE MOTHERHOOD QUILT PROJECT

Click HERE for the link for the Safe Motherhood Quilt Project

Here is another quilt square I have made in memory of a mother 
who died due to a complication associated with child birth.

It is thought she died of a pulmonary embolism one 
day after giving birth to her daughter.  

AGNES CORDES ARDOIN

 I found some fabric that had a floral column that drew my attention and I decided to use that for the quilt piece.  I cut it into strips.  I found a coordinating  piece of fabric that would go great in the middle and sewed that down with large straight stitches.  I then sewed the floral strips around it, mitering the corners.


Using  a variegated purple thread, I machined stitched some floral embroidery just outside
 the seams to bring it all together.  I then machine-stitched a small floral border using a 
variegated tan thread right at the purple/tan seam.
I added some faux pearls by hand -stitching French Knots at the center of each
 flower, using a pearlescence thread from DMC.


I added some fantasy flowers (chain stitch) using French knots for its center 
(two kinds of orange thread).  I used the Blanket stitch for the leaves.


here you can see some small flowers made with lazy daisy stitch (maroon thread) 
for the petals and  French knots for its middle (sky blue thread)


this store-bought butterfly goes beautifully with the piece.  I couldn't resist!


No comments:

Post a Comment